Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Return of the Cranky Old Lady

Alright.

It is 11:12 PM on JULY 3, and I am still hearing the constant snap crackle boom of fireworks around the neighborhood.

The same constant noises I have been hearing since the damn things went on sale a week ago.

Enough already for the love of GOD.

I enjoy seeing fireworks. ON JULY 4 from about 9-10:30 PM. After that I have had my fill.

What I want to know is who has the money to buy enough to shoot them off every day for a week?

My kids get $10 each to spend and that is it. We shoot them off when it is dark on July 4. The rest of the area needs to follow my example.

OK then.

I will put the Cranky Old Lady back in her hidey hole for now.

On to more pleasant Fourth of July memories. We are going to go see the big fireworks display here in town this year. It has been several years since we have seen it. The event tends to be crowded with stupid traffic control causing a 15 minute ride home to turn into an hour plus ride home which turns Beloved in to Cranky Old Man. It is usually a decent display, but not worth the hassle. My brother has been so courteous as to move near where the display takes place, so we are able to skirt some of the traffic mess. Hopefully. This is the second year he has been there but our first to attend his bash so we'll see what happens.

The best fireworks display I ever recall seeing has to be the one I saw while on vacation in Colorado Springs as a child. The mountains make a lovely backdrop. Been a long time since I have seen mountains. I think that will be remedied some time in the not TOO distant future. I see a trip to Colorado and it's mountains perhaps next summer, if Beloved gets his way and at this time I see no reason why he shouldn't. Chez Us has not had a true vacation in a few years so I think it's time to go some place different and do vacationy things. Our only trips since a foray to Florida three years ago have been for family obligations, and those have been few and far between.

Well dear reader(s) it is getting late and I should say g'nite.

Have a happy and safe Forfin July.

(Forfin July is what #1 used to call the holiday when she was a wee lass, and the term has stuck with us ever since. Just in case you were wondering.)

1 comment:

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Should you do decide to come to CO next year, you should drop on by and say Howdy! at Chet Hatchet.

Of course, there'll be 5 of us then...*shudder*

Whee!