Friday, September 19, 2008

Adult Conversation

My life pretty much revolves around kids. I work with children all day, and then come home to take care of two children. I have trouble thinking of activities in which I engage that do not in some way involve at least one child.


It stands to reason I guess that the vast majority of the conversations I participate in tend to have children as the central topic most of the time.


I love kids I really do. However I am beginning to find myself wishing more and more often for a few activities and conversations that have nothing to do with children. In a word I guess I am interested in more moderation and less saturation.

That is tough to do in my current situation.

Today I did have some success and I was ridiculously giddy about it afterwards.

I had lunch with a good friend and we were able to discuss things like religion, politics, important issues and other stuff.

It was very refreshing. I was so glad that I felt that I actually had something to offer to the conversation, as I feel horribly out of practice discussing such adult matters.

I was so excited that I could hardly wait for my husband to get home so I could tell him all about it!

I came away with a few things today:

  1. I need to get out more
  2. I need to stop just saying I need to get out more
  3. I might want to pick up a magazine/newspaper/blog that deals with grownup stuff every now and again.

There may be hope for me yet!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

What a coincidence! *I* had an excellent adult conversation that day for lunch too!

wait a second...

:)