Monday, February 11, 2008

The Hard Way

So I got a new laptop yesterday, since my old one is dying a slow death and this new fancy to me model was on sale for a darn good price. I am thoroughly enjoying my new purchase and no longer question whether or not I am going blind as this screen is bright and light, whereas my old one was getting darker by the day, and flickering and all kinds of fun stuff. The battery would go MAYBE 20 minutes, with the duration getting shorter every day. New batteries for these babies are outrageously expensive I found out, I truly was shocked and dismayed.

Now I am going through the oh so fun process of transferring and weeding out of crap from the old one on to the new. At the rate I am going, I should be done just in time for the new one to be too old to function.

I have spent the better part of this evening transferring my itunes library to the new computer. Much of that time was spent looking for what I was pretty damn sure had to be the easier way to do it. Turns out there is no easy way, or I am too tired to figure it out. I love my itunes I do, but this is ridiculous. The recommended method is to put everything on your iPod, then do a transfer to your new computer. The issue is that the bulk of my itunes material is TV shows which of course take up assloads of memory. I have a Nano, and while it suits my needs just fine, for this project it is taking multiple synchs because I ain't got the memory to to do it all at once.

I have yet to decide what to do with the old laptop. Maybe I will just keep it around and let the kids use it to play games until it finally dies.

Any other ideas for a still functioning, old, tired laptop?

1 comment:

The Girl in Black said...

If your old laptop has a disc burner, you can burn all the data onto a DVD and load onto the new one. We had to do a drive format once, and was able to save all my itunes files that way.

It takes a bit to redirect your itunes files to where the new service can find them, but at least they load quicker.

good luck!