Saturday, December 22, 2007

I kept calm

So we got some snow here in T-town today. A big fat 9 inches of snow supposedly. Along with some blizzard like conditions. There was thunder and lightning during the snow too which was pretty spectacular. I have not experienced a thunder snow in many many years.

What was not so spectacular was attempting to drive in it today. We were trying to deliver gifts to the family we adopted and it required highway driving. Now why we didn't turn around when we could barely see to do the in-town street driving I will never know. I can say that a short while after we got on the interstate I strongly suggested that we turn around and go back home. BH responded with a "but we're halfway there already." Fortunately I did not have to get loud and insistent, and after missing the first available turn around exit because we couldn't see it, we got off and turned around. We had a very scary moment as we were on the entry ramp and despite the slow pace we hit a slick spot and spun completely around and appeared to be headed down an embankment. Thankfully we came to a stop before that happened, and were able to get back on the road without any further excitement. I was able to keep remarkable calm. The spinning around seemed to go on forever and the children were beginning to get scared and vocal about their fright. As we spun I just kept repeating in my most calm and motherly voice that we were ok and everyone is fine. Now in my head I was thinking, nay... screaming "OH MY GOD WE ARE GOING TO DIE!" (I can be dramatic when the occasion calls for it!) At the same time I remember thinking that if we went down the embankment it would be ok as long as we did not flip the car, and then began the praying that we would not flip the car. That was a lot for what was probably 10 seconds of spinning around. Needless to say we decided to get off at the first available exit and go through town to get the rest of the way home. Not that it was any picnic either. Couldn't see more than a few feet ahead. We camped at home for the remainder of the day.

Not going down as one of our better decisions. Both BH and I agreed that we have never been in such terrible driving conditions ever. He also admitted that he was glad I was in the car to override his testorone thinking that he could make the trip becuase he is MAN! BH is nothing if not reasonable most of the time.

Now we have 9 inches of glorious snow to play in! We have been hoping for a really good snow and it is finally here. We don't usually get amounts like this from one snow. 1-3 inches isn't uncommon, but 9!! That is something. So it looks like we may have a white Christmas this year. I can not remember the last time that happened. Wait! I think it was actually ten years ago, about three weeks after #1 was born. I could be wrong, but that is the last one I remember.

I do think that Mother Nature needs to be informed that after the holidays my tolerance for such weather will be gone. Unless it is weather significant enough that we close businesses and I get to stay home from work! That I will put up with.

1 comment:

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Eek! Glad you were all OK. Spin outs freak me out.