Monday, March 03, 2008

Day 5

I remember having the flu as a child, I think there were three years in a row I came down with it on my birthday. That really sucks. At any rate, I would always be down for at least a week and at some point about halfway through I would start to think that I wouldn't know when I was well because I couldn't remember what it felt like to be well.

I think #2 may have reached that point. Unfortunately for her (and me) it struck at about 2:00 this morning.

Her fever spiked again and she came crying in to my room saying, "I don't feel well at allllllll!!!!" So we take her temp and I get out the ibuprofen. While I am doing this she begins to cry harder, which was a bit surprising. After 5 days I would think that she was used to this routine.

Suddenly she blurts out, "I don't want to diieeeee!!!"

"Huh?" is my nuturing and well spoken reply. (It is 2 AM, I am not at my most articulate at this time.)

"I doooonnn'ttt waaannnt toooooo diieeeeeee.....I am afraid I am never going to get better and I am afraid I am going to DIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!" BIG TEARS now from #2.

Well THAT kind of statement woke me up, and infused me with a whopping surge of sympathy for this poor kid who has no recall for any time that she has been ill for this long.

We had a good snuggle and some reassurance that she was not going to die, this is just a sickness that hangs around for a long time, and back to sleep she went.

Here's hoping that today is the last day. No fever so far this morning, which happened yesterday too, only for things to really rock-n-roll in the afternoon.

But surely today is the day.....surely.


Woman with a Hatchet said...

We seem to have that. Only by "we", I only mean Caitlin.

Which means the whining. The WHINING!


Did I say argh already?


Missy said...

Oh I feel your pain. We found that the whining INCREASED once the fever was past. Now I don't recall excessive whining and stubborness being a flu symptom, but it surely was here. Yesterday she INSISTED that it was Saturday, not Wednesday and hence there were more battles about getting up and getting around.

Completely ignoring her worked very well for me on Tuesday, she complied and in a timely manner as I refused to respond to her ridiculous statements about what she wasn't going to do and went on about my business, after clearly stating my expectations of course!

Hang in there.